Thursday, September 11, 2014

Reading Reflection #1

     The reading from this section was on; Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.  I learned what the three different words mean.  Ethos is appeals from the character or author.  Pathos is appeals to emotion , and Logos is appeals to reason.  They are terms derived from ancient Greek writers. (From Inquiry to Academic Writing pg. 199 paragraph 4.)
     There was a comparison in the book (page 200 figure 8.1) that compared the Rhetorical Triangle to Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.  It showed that the Ethos and Author are the same, that the audience and Pathos are the same and it also showed that Logos are the words or the issues and argument which take place.
     I feel that Ethos, Pathos, and Logos can help me in my writing a Rhetorical analysis in the same ways the Rhetorical triangle and all of the things we have discussed in class have helped me.  They all seem to teach the same basic principle. For example, The book states (page 200 paragraph 2) that these three things when used in a proper balance can strengthen your argument based on your thesis, the circumstances, and your audience.  This is the same thing we learned when we talked about Rhetoric. I feel that it is important to appeal to the three as I write because they cover all of the major needs of the analysis and I will be able to write a more sound and persuasive paper. The ways that they cover this can be found in the book on pages 205, 208, and 214 under the corresponding sub-titles.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment